We are happy you are exploring how to become a foster parent with us. As a statewide Wisconsin foster care agency, we have a great need for new foster homes with flexible schedules in all Wisconsin counties. We welcome anyone, from any county to explore fostering with us. Our goal is to help children heal from trauma in a safe, stable, loving foster home. CCR foster kids have suffered prolonged abuse or neglect and need foster parents to help them heal from trauma. Meeting the required foster care qualifications is the first step to get a foster care license.
Below are the basic requirements to become a foster parent with us.
- Resident of Wisconsin
- 25 years or older (CCR will consider 21+ if a spouse is 25 or over)
- Financial stability (there is not an income requirement)
- A flexible schedule with availability for appointments and unplanned interruptions. Ideally a parent is available before/after school, during holiday breaks, and summer vacation.
- Stable, healthy relationships, and people you can count on.
- Willingness to learn about childhood trauma and use trauma-informed parenting skills.
- Valid drivers license and auto insurance
- Willing and able to work with the children's biological family
- A clean background check (traffic violations and most misdemeanors will not affect your application)
- Available bedroom space for foster children.
In addition, there are several myths we must debunk about qualifying to be a foster parent.
- You do not need parenting experience to be a foster parent with CCR but you must have the desire to help kids heal from trauma backgrounds.
- Your home does not need to be big or expensive to welcome foster kids. It is important that your home be clean, uncluttered, and safe.
- You do not need a large salary or huge savings to foster. If you can consistently pay your household bills each month, that is great.
- Homeownership is not required. Apartments and rentals are just fine.
If you have questions about qualifying or are concerned that something may prohibit you from fostering, please call us. We are happy to answer your questions immediately and get you the foster care information you are looking for.
Ready to learn more and begin the process to become a foster parent. Contact us today.
Excited to get our foster care license!